How to Stay Afloat and Make the Grade
Here at UAS, as a general rule, for every credit hour you take, you will need to spend 2-4 hours per credit reading the assigned material, doing homework, writing papers and preparing for exams.
For example, if you are taking a 3 credit on campus class, you may have 3 hours of class time, plus an additional 6 to 12 hours of homework for that one class. If your class is an e-Learning class, for a 3 credit class you may not have a set meeting time, but 9-15 hours of course work on your own for that one class.
College is different from high school, and it requires a different set of skills and habits to be successful. If you can turn these seven behaviors into habits, you will be successful.
- Attend every class, be on time.
- Ask at least one question or make a comment in each class every day.
- Complete homework assignments on time.
- Keep up with reading assignments.
- Discuss all papers, exams, homework and grades with your professors.
- Use the Learning Center, online tutoring, study groups and any other resources that are available.
- Eat, sleep and exercise - be healthy.