Special Education, M.Ed.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education program prepares teachers to develop and implement culturally responsive special education services for students with disabilities. The program focuses on the unique needs of (a) children and youth with disabilities; (b) Alaska's diverse Native and non-Native communities; and (c) Alaska's remote and rural communities.
The M.Ed. in Special Education program is designed to accommodate practicing teachers, paraeducators and other school-based professionals who currently have an initial teaching certificate. Courses are offered in the afternoons, evenings, and in the summer. All courses are delivered via audio conference and augmented with online resources. This e-Learning format allows candidates who live and work in Alaska's remote and rural communities to remain in their communities while completing their graduate studies.
Please refer to the academic catalog for a complete list of course requirements.
Master of Education Program - Special Education
Step 1: Consult with Jill Burkert (Program Coordinator).
Step 2: Send application materials to Admissions
Attn: Deema Ferguson
11066 Auke Lake Way
Juneau, AK 99801
Do not hesitate to contact the Student Services Assistant with any questions about application materials or the application process. The following items are necessary for a complete application:
- Graduate application for admission and $60 application fee;
- Official transcript with evidence of baccalaureate degree awarded, GPA 3.0;
- Transcripts from UAA, UAF, or UAS are not required to be submitted.
- Two letters of recommendation with SOE forms;
- Admission Writing Sample of two parts: Instructions;
- Copy of current teaching or administrative certificate.
- Applicant faxes or mails unofficial transcripts to advisor.
- Advisor completes transcript analysis.
- Applicant and advisor discuss individual's program.
Step 3: Complete program prerequisites.
- GPA of 3.0 from transcript(s). (If your GPA is below 3.0, you may be admitted provisionally.)
- Prerequisite coursework is recommended by advisor.
- Admission status notices are sent out by the School of Education.
- Provisional admission status may be granted. Provisions must be completed within one semester of admission.
- You must maintain a 3.0 GPA in this program. You must receive a grade of "C" or better in each course for it to count. A "C-" grade will not be counted as passing.