Master of Education
The M.Ed. is offered with emphasis in Educational Leadership, Learning Design and Technology, Mathematics Education, Reading, Science Education, and Special Education. The Master of Education programs extend and develop classroom skills and abilities of practicing teachers in elementary and secondary education. Applicants to the Master of Education program must have a Bachelor of Education degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution, and/or a current teaching certificate.
For programs which include an internship or practicum, a supervision fee will be assessed to help defray the cost of the supervisor’s travel.
Program Assessment plans and student learning outcomes are posted on the Program Assessment website.
Reading Specialist, M.Ed.
The M.Ed. in Reading program is designed specifically to deepen P-12 teachers’ pedagogical content knowledge with the aim of improved student literacy achievement. This program is delivered in face-to-face and e-Learning formats so that it is possible to complete the degree while teaching in your own district. Technological tools facilitate course delivery, communication, and research. Enhancements include streamed video, braided discussions, audio conferencing, video reflections, and use of Internet resources. Students in the master’s reading program focus on developmental, cognitive, and socio cultural aspects of reading acquisition, instruction, and assessment. Professional and caring attitudes and beliefs about teaching lead to responsive and rigorous instruction in reading and literacy for all P-12 students, including those who are culturally and linguistically diverse. Accomplished teaching professionals promote collaboration with students, colleagues, parents, families, and the larger community to improve literacy learning and student achievement in their contexts. Students prepare an exit portfolio in line with the goals of the School of Education and the program standards of the International Reading Association to demonstrate levels of knowledge and pedagogy commensurate with the skills and dispositions of highly competent advanced teaching professionals.
The UAS Reading Specialist program has gained national recognition by the International Reading Association since 2004.
- A completed graduate application and $60 non-refundable application fee
- An official transcript indicating baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Two general recommendations written on UAS provided form by former or current professors, employers, or supervisors who are familiar with your work and performance
- Writing assessment: 2-3 page typewritten, double-spaced formal paper containing a summary of your educational experiences, a description of professional goals related to what is needed to teach Alaska’s students and those beyond and a statement of how the program might help in attaining those goals. This statement will be judged in terms of readability and style as well as compatibility of the student’s objectives, expectations and goals of the program.
- Statement of ability to do field experience
- A copy of current teaching or administrative certificate
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
- Lisa K Richardson
- Assistant Professor
- Phone: 796-6435
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||33|
|EDET||S628||Technology in Instructional Design||3|
|EDRE||S671||Language Reading and Culture||3|
|EDRE||S674||Developing Reading ECE-12||3|
|EDRE||S675||Reading and Cognition||3|
|EDRE||S676||Reading Instruction and Assessment I||3|
|EDRE||S677||Reading Instruction and Assessment II||3|
|EDRE||S678||Literature and Reading, Supporting Readers at All Levels||3|
|EDRE||S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDRE||S696||Reading Teacher as Leader*||3|
|EDRE||S698||Master’s Research Project or Portfolio||3|
|* Must pass ED S696 with a B or higher to graduate|
Recommendation for certification will be issued upon completion of the above coursework. The Alaska Department of Education and Early Development grants the endorsement upon completion of the Institutional Recommendations and the required fee from the student. Students must be accepted into the graduate certificate program.