Education Graduate certificates provide candidates with eligibility endorsements to an Alaska teaching certificate. All course work must be completed within a seven-year period immediately preceding the date the graduate certificate is granted. Graduate certificates are granted by the University of Alaska Southeast; UAS provides the institutional recommendation to the student to submit to the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development for endorsement.
Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate
Admission to the Reading Certificate program requires the same application materials as the M.Ed. in Reading Specialist. If the Reading Specialist Graduate Certificate application is submitted with the M.Ed. application, the $60 application fee will be charged only once.
- Application for admission and $60 non-refundable application fee
- Copy of a current Alaska teaching or administrative certificate
- Two Letters of Recommendation on SOE form
- Official transcript(s) indicating a baccalaureate degree and a GPA of 3.00
- Writing assessment: 2-3 page typewritten, double-spaced formal paper containing a summary of your educational experiences, a description of professional goals related to what is needed to teach Alaska’s students and those beyond and a statement of how the program might help in attaining those goals. This statement will be judged in terms of readability and style as well as compatibility of the student’s objectives, expectations and goals of the program.
- Statement of ability to do field experience on SOE form
More information and links to forms can be found on the School of Education website.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Degree Requirements (2015-2016 Catalog)
|Minimum Credit Hours||24|
|EDRE||S671||Language, Culture & Literacy||3|
|EDRE||S674||Developing Reading, ECE-12||3|
|EDRE||S675||Reading and Cognition||3|
|EDRE||S676||Reading Instruction & Assessment I||3|
|EDRE||S677||Reading Instruction & Assessment II||3|
|EDRE||S678||Literature & Reading: Supporting Readers at All Levels||3|
|EDRE||S679||Reading and Literacy in the Content Areas||3|
|EDRE||S696||Teacher as Leader||3|
- GPA of 3.00
- Satisfactory completion of all courses